Frequently Asked Questions:

Who can purchase pot at American Mary?

Anyone over the age of 21 with valid photo identification.

Do I have to be a resident of the state?

It is not a requirement to be a Washington State resident.

How much marijuana can I legally purchase/have on my person?

Those who meet the above requirements may acquire up to an ounce of cured cannabis flower or “bud”, 16 ounces of cannabis-infused edibles in a solid state, 72 ounces in a liquid state and seven grams of cannabis concentrates.

Where can I consume cannabis?

Consumers are protected under Washington State law for cannabis use in a residence whereupon the owner grants approval. Cannabis products may not be consumed in view of the public. Any smoking in the state of Washington must take place at least 25 feet away from entrances, exits, windows that open and ventilation intakes.

Vaporizing or smoking cannabis in a private and smoking-only hotel room is legal in Washington State. However, in the case that the hotel you are staying in is smoke-free vaporizers, edibles and sublinguals are fantastic alternatives.

On federally owned property and within navigable waters, federal law is enforced. Consuming cannabis is federally illegal.

What are concentrates?

Marijuana concentrates are the end product of the extraction of oil from the cannabis plant. There are many processes available, both dried and live plants can be used. Solvents can be used but are not necessary in extraction creation.

Concentrates can be inhaled by “dabbing” or vaporized using a small technological unit. Vaping is becoming more popular by the day for its ease of use and discreet appearance. There are vaporizer units that can be loaded with concentrate and cartridges filled with oil that can be used with a suitable battery. The Massroots team can teach you what a dab is and how to take one here.

What are topicals/edibles/sublinguals?

Topicals, edibles and sublinguals are products made using the aforementioned cannabis concentrates.


Cannabis-infused products that can be applied directly to the skin for specific effects and/or sensations that can be felt in around 30 minutes on average.


Cannabis-infused products like baked goods or soda that you can eat or drink. They generally take 1-3 hours to take full effect. Edibles are a great odorless and low key option. They can be either far or water soluble, which affects the bioavailability.

Everyone’s experience is different, but the standard edible serving size in Washington and Colorado is 10mg THC. Processors like Zoots create products as low as 2.5mg for novice consumers who aren’t looking to overindulge.

Be patient! Depending on your body chemistry, it can take up to 30 minutes to feel the initial effects of an edible.


Cannabis-infused products that are dissolved under the tongue or consumed using a dropper. Sublinguals have 50-60% bioavailability and take between 20-60 minutes to activate.

Whichever method you choose, remember to consume responsibly and start slow.

Where to Learn More

Washington State Liquor Control Board’s Page for Adult Consumers:

Marijuana Use in Washington State – An Adult Consumer’s Guide:

Learn About Marijuana:


Our products have intoxicating effects and may be habit forming. Marijuana can impair concentration, coordination, and judgment. Do not operate a vehicle or machinery under the influence of this drug. There may be health risks associated with consumption of cannabis infused products. For use only by adults twenty-one and older. Keep out of the reach of children.