Happy New Years! The holidays are a great time of year, aren’t they? Well, the good news is they don’t have to end with New Years. Celebrate all winter long with the tastiest chocolate chip cannabis cookies. Our favorite chocolate chip cannabis cookies recipe is so easy, just about any cannabis enthusiast can make it in fewer than 20 minutes (including cook time). You’ll just need to make sure you’re prepped with cannabutter (we’ve also included a cannabutter recipe for these cannabis cookies).
How to Make Cannabutter for Cannabis Cookies
It doesn’t get any easier than this—cannabutter in three easy steps. Our recipe below is a quick and easy way to infuse cannabinoids into butter.
Step 1: Decarb Your Cannabis
Many people skip this step since your buds will decarb in the butter. This is true. However, we suggest you decarb your cannabis before. The reason being is that if you don’t want your cannabis cookies (or any edible) to taste more like cannabis than cookies, you’ll want the buds to soak in the butter for the least amount of time possible.
Here’s how to decarb:
- Preheat: Set your oven to 245ºF.
- Place parchment paper on a non-stick baking sheet. Spread your buds over the sheet. Place in the oven.
- Decarb in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes. If you’re using older or drier bud, you may need less time.
- Gently shake the tray about every 10 minutes to mix the buds and equally expose them to the heat.
- Use a hand grinder to grind your buds coarsely.
Step 2: Melt the Butter
- Add equal parts (1 cup) water and butter to a saucepan. Make sure to use low heat! The water helps prevent scorching.
- Melt the butter, then add your coarsely ground buds.
- Simmer on low heat for about 45 minutes.
- Stir frequently!
There are different schools of thought here, but we suggest using unsalted butter. Unsalted butter preserves the volume when you separate the butter from the water.
Step 3: Strain the Butter
- Once the butter has cooled, strain it into a cheesecloth-lined jar or dish with a tight-fitting lid.
- Pro Tip: Don’t rush the process by squeezing the cheesecloth. This will only drive more of the less pleasant tasting parts into your butter.
That was easy, wasn’t it? Now you can use your cannabutter. If you’re not ready to use it, freeze or refrigerate it depending on when you plan on using it. You may want to freeze it (or at least clearly label it) so that no one mistakes your cannabutter for something else.
If you want to create more butter than this recipe provides, you can always scale up the ingredients. A pound of butter can easily absorb an ounce of cannabis.
Also, you can use this cannabutter for pretty much anything—including pasta, popcorn, brownies, etc.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cannabis Cookies
This is a super simple recipe that takes no more than 20 minutes to prepare and cook.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 7 to 10 minutes
Here’s what you’ll you need:
- Cookie or ice cream scoop
- Silicone spatula
- ½ cup (113 g) cannabutter
- ¼ cup (55 g) packed brown sugar
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups (224 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (175 g) semisweet chocolate chips
Instructions – Cannabis Cookies
- Prepare your cannabutter. See above.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Nuke (microwave) your butter for 30 seconds or until melted.
- Mix your cannabutter and sugars in a large bowl.
- Mix in egg and vanilla.
- Add baking soda, flour, and salt. (Note: To ensure you don’t use too much flour which will make your cookies dry, make sure to first fluff the flour, then scoop and sweep to accurately measure.)
- Mix your dough until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Add in chocolate chips and stir until well-mixed.
- Scoop out 1½ tablespoons of dough for medium-sized cookies or 2 tablespoons for large cookies and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until cookies appear puffy and slightly underbaked in the middle. Don’t over-bake. If you over-bake your canna-cookies, they won’t be soft. And, nothing kills your high more than brittle cookies.
Voila! You’ve made tasty chocolate chip cannabis cookies. If you want to make other edibles, simply find a recipe you like and replace the butter with cannabutter.
Whether you’re a card-carrying medical cannabis patient or a cannabis enthusiast, Have a Heart has a variety of cannabis products to help you attain your goals.